January 10 – Reunion at Highlander Center

At the end of another 11 hours driving through Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Virginia into Knoxville, Tennessee, we were honoured with a wonderful dinner at the home of Guy and Candie Carawan on the campus of the Highlander Center (renowned popular education centre which brought together whites and blacks in the 1950s, including Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King). When I worked in the 1980s, Guy and Candie played a major role in recovering and recording music of Appalachia and the deep south, spreading social justice songs (Guy taught Pete Seeger “We Shall Overcome” which was developed at Highlander, he also wrote the Canadian version of “This Land is Your Land”). Guy is now in his 80s and suffers from dementia.

(Guy passed away on May 2, and was remembered in the NYTimes:


Centre-on-the-hill Dinner-at-Highlander

We spent the night at the Horton House, on top of the hill, and woke up to a gorgeous sunrise coming out of the mist over the Great Smokey Mountains. The ghosts of Highlander’s founder Myles Horton, my dear mentor and friend (and Joshua Myles’ namesake), floated around the house, as I regaled John with tales of the years (1978 – 1995) that I visited Highlander regularly.


Pam gave us a tour of the campus, showing us new property and buildings; it was fun showing John the circle of rocking chairs in the main workshop room, my photos of Highlander women still on the wall, and a soft-sculpture banner we created for Myles for a Toronto popular educators conference in 1981, still hanging in the library.




Second obstacle: Dependency on devices
In our first two days, we’ve had myriad tech battles:

  • Got “error 23” in trying to play a USB key of music on car radio
  • Blew a fuse so lost car radio and clock functions
  • Accidentally deleted the program for a portable blue tooth speaker
  • Bought a new outlet device for car, then found two in the glove compartment
  • Accidentally ran up $100 of roaming charges on Deborah’s i-phone
  • Lost my i-phone outside home where we ate on Sat eve

This last crisis had a happy ending. My phone had been lost between the car and the Carawan’s house on Saturday night. After 2 hours Sunday morning looking everywhere inside and outside, we found only the phone’s charger cable near where we had parked the previous night. We were about to give up (and reframe this as a message that I should liberate myself from the phone during this trip), when Candie called to say she had found it outside the other side of the house, where a ‘very nasty’ dog had taken it…!


Jan 10

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *